Victims of crime

A program of the National Center for Victims of Crime, it combines: A traditional telephone-based helpline: Connect Directory The National Center's Connect Directory provides a fast and easy way for victims to locate service providers specializing in specific areas of victimization in a wide variety of jurisdictions throughout the country. Users enter information into a simple form which is used to pull up contact information for service providers nearby who can help.

Victims of crime

Rights of Victims of Crime Restitution The California Constitution requires that the court order a convicted person to pay restitution to the victim. Restitution is money paid by the offender to the victim to cover financial losses. Such financial losses include the value of any stolen property, medical expenses, and wages or profits lost by the victim or by the parents or guardians of a victim who is a minor.

At the time the convicted person is sentenced for a juvenile this is during the dispositional hearingthe judge will order him or her to pay you the victim for losses caused by the crime. You are allowed to ask for interest at the rate of 10 percent per year. The parents of a juvenile offender are legally responsible for the restitution to the victim.

See California Welfare and Institutions Code section There is also a state-managed victim restitution fund, the California Victim Compensation Programto assist victims of crime.

Victims of crime

The money in the fund comes Victims of crime persons convicted of crimes. To receive payment from the fund, you must apply within 1 year of the crime minors can apply within a year after they turn You must also cooperate with law enforcement agencies and provide written proof of your losses and Victims of crime.

There are court forms and instructions that can help if you decide to file ask for an order for restitution: You can also find out if the defendant has assets so you can collect restitution. If you are the defendant, you can find out how to fill out Form CR by reading Instructions: Many counties have a victim witness department.

Victims have the right to be notified of all juvenile court hearings and the right to attend and express their views about the disposition of the case. If there is a court hearing and you do not want to or are unable to go to the hearings, you can still find out about the final disposition of the case, including the restitution order.

Attend court hearings As a victim you are entitled to attend the juvenile court hearings that deal with your case, and you should receive notice of the hearings.

Victim Assistance - abuse_selfhelp

Victims are allowed to bring up to 2 support people. But any party to the case, including the offender, can prohibit the victim and the support people from attending. If you are excluded from the hearing, you can still express your views, in a reasonable way, by submitting a victim impact statement.

See California Welfare and Institution Code section At the dispositional hearing, if the judge rules that the youth committed the offense, the judge will impose sanctions on him or her. Sanctions may include the following: Restitution to you; Payment of a fine by the youth funds will go to the state victim restitution fund ; Community service performed by the youth for the benefit of the community; Limitations on the youth's liberty imposed as a condition of probation or parole this may include probation with formal supervision or placement outside the youth's home ; Commitment of the youth to a local detention or treatment facility, such as a juvenile hall, camp, or ranch; Commitment of the youth to Division of Juvenile Justice DJJCalifornia Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation CDCR.

Let the offender know how the crime affected you Many counties have programs that give you the opportunity to tell the offender how the crime affected you. You can do this by writing a statement that you or an advocate can read in court or the probation officer can forward to the offender.

Another possibility is a facilitated dialogue with the offender, such as supervised victim-offender mediation. The choice to participate is entirely up to you.

Protect Yourself From the Offender If you are afraid of the offender and are worried about your safety once the offender is released from custody, the court may issue "no contact" orders or restraining orders preventing the offender from having contact with you. And, you may be able to get a restraining order through a civil proceeding.

Click for more information on getting a restraining order through the civil courts. Other Victims' Rights It is against the law for your address or telephone number to be given to the offender.

See California Penal Code section California Welfare and Institutions Code section b states that victims of juvenile offenders must be informed of any victim-offender conferencing program or victim impact class available in the county.

Victim impact classes give victims an opportunity to express, when they are ready, how the crime affected their lives to a small group of offenders. The youth responsible for the offense in which you were involved will not be in the class. Also included are specific resources for victims of juvenile crime.

Crime Victims' Institute

Restitution Basics for Victims of Offenses by Juveniles If you have been a victim of an offense committed by a juvenile, this booklet will help you understand your right to restitution, what to expect as the juvenile case moves forward, special rules in juvenile cases, and how to collect the money you are owed.Serving the community since Today CVC is a vital nonprofit organization providing nonjudgmental support and services to victims of all violence, their families and significant others throughout Northampton and Lehigh Counties, in addition to a wide variety of prevention programs.

We do everything we can to prevent crime, but sometimes bad things happen even to good people. You come home to find your front door wide open and your stuff missing. Or you go out to your car and it’s gone or something worse.

You feel sick inside. And overwhelmed. That’s only natural. This may.

Why me? And what's next?

Welcome. The Crime Victims' Institute (CVI) at Sam Houston State University is committed to advancing research on victimization issues in Texas.

Ronald Wilson Reagan Public Policy Award. First announced during the National Crime Victims’ Rights Week Awards Ceremony, the Ronald Wilson Reagan Public Policy Award honors those whose leadership, vision, and innovation have led to significant changes in public policy and practice that benefit crime victims.

The National Crime Victims Research and Treatment Center (NCVC) was established in and has achieved an international reputation for its innovative research, education and training, evidence-based mental health treatment, prevention services, collaboration with victim service agencies, and consultation with public policy makers.

The Alabama Crime Victims’ Compensation Commission (ACVCC) does not discriminate on the basis of. race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, genetic information, pregnancy, or disability in employment or the provision of compensation benefits.

Illinois Attorney General - Helping Crime Victims